The positions below are full time and located in Charlotte, N.C. We are a growing company and provide a flexible, relaxed work environment in our contemporary Plaza Midwood office. We offer competitive salaries, generous benefits and exceptional growth opportunities.
ALL INTERESTED CANDIDATES SHOULD HAVE AN UNDERSTANDING OF THE FOLLOWING:
- The development cycle for websites and interactive installations: concept, proposal, scheduling, design, development, review, QA, and ongoing support
- Best practices in interactive usability
- Social media tools and their evolution
PERSONALITY TRAITS REQUIRED
- Highly self-motivated, able to work independently and with a team
- Productive an consistent in meeting deadlines with quality work
- Detail-oriented and conscientious about accuracy
- Comfortable learning new tools as needed
APPLY FOR THESE JOBS
Send resume and links to 3 websites or online interactives that you have developed. Please include written explanation of your participation in the websites or interactives you reference.
Resumes without samples will be disqualified.
SEND ALL RESPONSES TO:
1: Web Designer
This position requires at minimum three years of web design experience with increasingly complex projects. Our firm only builds large, sophisticated sites for well-known clients around the country. The Smithsonian Institution is our largest and most frequent client. We will hire a very creative web designer who can share and explain their design decisions for their personal and professional portfolio of at least ten websites, mobile apps and/or on-site interactives.
In addition to being creative, the candidate must be highly organized. Our sites include a vast amount of content and require extensive discovery, planning and execution of a complex content management system. Everyone on our team is responsible for delivering an accurate and engaging final product. The Web Designer role tracks content delivery from the client and maintains the process that provides our developers with the appropriate and final content during production.
Other responsibilities include:
- Visual design for the web including mobile - sometimes following direction from our Senior Visual Designer, sometimes taking full responsibility for working directly with clients to create original screen designs. Basic familiarity of designing user interfaces using various grid systems. Strong understanding of typography and color and how each affects tone of screen designs. Ability to identify and make use of U/I patterns and best practices. Attention to detail and consistency is a must.
- User interface design for responsive websites - Our clients include a variety of cultural institutions, non-profits and universities. The projects are seldom similar to previous websites we've created and typically offer a chance to create unique user interfaces. We need someone who can think creatively to offer interesting user interfaces that can be implemented across all platforms in a responsive design.
- Content management - most of our website design projects include large amounts of content coming from many sources, including databases, social media, archives and the client's current website. We need someone who can create a content strategy at the beginning of the project, plan and schedule how we acquire this content before and during production then take the lead in testing to assure that all content is in the right place and functioning properly.
- Documentation - the sites we create are typically built using the Drupal content management system. We provide high level documentation for our clients so they can continue to update, edit and manage their content once the site launches. We need someone with experience using content management systems (preferably Drupal) to write and maintain the documentation for each project.
- Training - using the documentation created for the project, we need someone who can deliver the training (sometimes in person but usually over the phone or Skype) to our clients and continue to follow up with them when there are questions or bugs in the system.
- Collaborate with the development team - we need someone who can work with the developers to provide clear direction about design and content files. This role also will lead the evaluation and testing phase of the projects before we hand off to the client for review.
2: Interactive Developer
Our Interactive Developer must be capable of understanding the technical requirements of producing an interactive installation, collaborating on a design solution with our designers, then implementing that solution accurately and on schedule. We are looking for a detail-oriented person who knows current programming techniques and can follow a project from concept to QA. We work with museums, research centers and foundations who need to communicate unique content in a physical space. Often these interactives are also migrated to the client’s website.
- A minimum of 3 complex interactive experiences where you have had major responsibility
- Very strong in CSS3/HTML5/JS
- Proficient open-source tools, including jQuery
- Understanding of responsive design principles
- Compliant with modern coding standards (semantic, machine readable code)
- Understanding of the Linux/Unix environment, including shell
- Knowledge of Photoshop
ADDITIONAL SKILLS PREFERRED
- Video codecs and compression mechanisms
- Ability to generate a list of project deliverables and tasks
- Ability to manage and track the QA process, generating review documents and checklists as needed
- Ability to write detailed technical and functional specifications